October 13, 2020
There’s a common misconception that if you’re an older adult, your only option for replacing your missing teeth is a traditional denture. You may have heard rumors that modern tooth loss solutions like dental implants in Pittsburg aren’t effective for older smiles. However, these speculations are far from true! Dental implants are an excellent choice for patients of all ages, whether they’re 19 or 105! Read on to learn more about this revolutionary tooth replacement option and how to tell if you’re a good candidate.
The Unique Dental Implant Process
Unlike dentures and dental bridges, restoring your smile with dental implants is a multistep process. Part of this process is dental implant surgery, where a small titanium post is placed into your jawbone. This post mimics the roots of the missing tooth and fuses with the surrounding bone tissue over the course of several months. Once it’s healed, this provides an incredibly sturdy foundation for your new teeth.
Can You Be Too Old for Dental Implants?
Even though dental implants require a more involved process than traditional tooth replacement options, research shows that they’re just as effective in senior patients as they are in younger adults. In fact, a 2004 study found that five years after getting dental implants, the success rates in patients above and below the age of 80 were the same!
There is no upper age limit to getting dental implants, but you may need to have a few preliminary treatments completed first. Typically, you’ll need three things to be considered a good candidate for dental implants:
- Good overall health: You’ll need to be well enough to undergo minor surgery to have your dental implants placed. Your dentist may work with your doctor to get you ready for your new smile if needed.
- Great oral health: Oral health issues like tooth decay, gum disease, and teeth grinding can threaten the success of your dental implant, so your dentist will create a plan with you to address those problems first.
- Adequate jawbone density: Your jawbone needs to be strong enough to support your dental implants. Since the jawbone naturally starts to shrink away once a tooth goes missing, this can be an issue if you’ve delt with tooth loss for a long time. Your dentist may recommend a bone graft to make sure your dental implants have a firm foundation.
Invest In Your Health, Confidence, and Quality of Life
Dental implants are well worth the effort to get them. They offer numerous advantages over dentures and dental bridges, including:
- Lifelike stability, so you’ll never feel them slipping around while you talk or eat.
- No extra pressure on your gums or healthy teeth.
- Preserving your jawbone and preventing deterioration, which makes you look younger.
- Restoring your ability to eat all your favorite foods.
- The potential to last a lifetime with great oral hygiene habits.
Adults of any age can enjoy the benefits of replacing missing teeth with dental implants! To see if this life-changing treatment is right for you, talk to your Pittsburg dentist today to see if you’re a good candidate.
About the Author
Dr. Dan Rairigh of Advanced Dental Solutions of Pittsburg has completed extensive dental implant training from the prestigious Midwest Implant Institute. Thanks to this advanced training, he is able to personally help his patients replace their missing teeth with dental implants instead of needing to refer them to an outside specialist. He uses state-of-the-art technology like the 3D cone beam scanner for precise, comfortable treatment and reliably long-lasting results. To see if you’re a candidate for dental implants, he can be contacted via his website or at (412) 854-2310.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.