By Pittsburgh Dentist Dr. Dan Rairigh
Nearly every hour one person dies from oral cancer. Late discovery is the reason why oral cancer death rate is so high. Stay in control of your health and get a Velscope oral cancer exam. Call our office at 412 854-2310 and get your oral cancer exam.
Why Do I need a Oral Cancer Exam?
The Oral Cancer Foundation states that “death rate for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s lymphoma, laryngeal cancer, cancer of the testes, endocrine system cancers and melanoma.”
The procedure is painless and only takes a few minutes.
It is proven to detect oral lesions before they are visible to naked eye.
Oral cancer can disfigure the face and neck.
Early detection can save your life, early detection is essential to the successful prevention and treatment of oral cancer. Call our Pittsburgh offices today at 412-854-2310 and schedule a oral cancer screening.
Most common factors that increase oral cancer odds
As a general rule, the following factors increase your risk.
- Greater risk after age 55
- Tobacco use
- More common in men than women
- More common in African Americans
- Frequent alcohol consumption
- The sexually transmitted infection HPV
- Prolonged exposure to sunlight can cause lip cancer –
- Diet low in fruits and vegetables
*about 25% of oral cancer have no known risk factors
What are the symptoms of oral cancer
Here are some common symptoms of oral cancer. Velscope oral cancer exam will detect cancerous and precancerous lesions before they are visible to the human eye.
- Sores that don’t heal within 14 days
- Persistent hoarseness of voice
- Feeling like something is stuck in throat
- Red and/or white patches in the mouth
- Difficulty moving the jaw or tongue
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Ear pain on one side only
- Sore under a denture that doesn’t heal
- Lump or thickening in mouth or on neck
Pittsburgh Dentist Dr. Dan Rairigh offers Velscope cancer screening to most of his low risk patients once a year during a cleaning appointment, high risk patients have the option of doing the exam more than once a year if they choose to do so.
Do you have more questions about Velscope cancer screening?
Contact us today by calling 412-854-2310 or filling out this form to contact our dental staff at Advanced Dental Solutions of Pittsburgh.